This year at the OHSAA State Track & Field meet records were set. Here’s a list of the record setters:
1) Alysse Wade of St. Peter’s. Alysse set the division 3 girls 100 hurdles record at 14.17 on May 25 at the regionals. She then set the state meet record during the semi finals at 14.31. She then came back in the finals on June 2 and ran a 14.07 to set both records again.
2. Chad Johnson of Colonel Crawford. The previous OHSAA Div 3 State Record was 9:09.15 set by Walter Luttrell in 2008. The State meet record was 9:12.01 set by Kyle Polman in 2013. Chad erased both marks by running a 9:05.43.
3. Leah King of Perry is a junior and she erased the old OHSAA Division 3 and State Meet records. The previous record holder, Jasmine Harris of Orange set both records at 13.92 at the 2016 state meet. Leah erased those marks and inserted her own in the 100 meter hurdles finals at 13.89. Later in the day, Leah tied the state meet record in division 2 300 hurdles set in 2015 by Jasmine Harris at 42.55.
4. Mia Knight of Beachwood left her mark on the Division 2 sprint record book. She set a new OHSAA Division 2 and State Meet record of 11.65 in the 100 meter dash erasing the previous mark set by Michaela Butler of 11.67 in 2015. She then ran a 23.96 in the 200 meter dash to set a new OHSAA Division 2 and State Meet record. The old standard was set by Cachet Murray of Girard at 24.05 in 2004.
5. Anna Foster of Sheridan ran a 10:34.34 in the Division 2 3200 meter run to set a new Division 2 State Meet Record. The previous record was held by Hannah Campbell at 10:40.66 set in 2014.
6. Gahanna Lincoln Girls 4 x 800 Meter Relay Team of Shynae Deas, Allison Groves, Claire Steigerwald and Madison Martinez ran a US # 1 time of 8:53.49 to set a new OHSAA Division 1, Division 1 State Meet and Owens Stadium record. The fastest time any girls 4 x 800 team has run in Ohio Track and Field history.
7. Abby Steiner of Dublin Coffman for the last 4 years has dominated Division 1 girls sprints. This year she set new standards in the 100 and 200 meter dashes. In the 100 meter dash semi-final she ran 11.47 to set a new OHSAA Division 1, State Meet and Owens Stadium record. She returned in the finals mark by running a 11.38 which set new record in Division 1, State Meet, and Owens Stadium records. In the 200 meter dash semi-final, she ran 23.17 to set new OHSAA Division 1, State Meet and Owens Stadium records. She returned in the 200 meter dash final to run an amazing 22.73 to set new OHSAA Division 1, State Meet and Owens Stadium records. The 22.73 200 time is believed to be the 5th fastest time run by any girls in US high school track history. Her win in in the 200 meter dash made her a 4-time winner of that event at the Division 1 State track Meet.
The Wadsworth boys 4 x 800 meter relay team did not set a record at the State Meet in Division 1 but they did run a US # 1 time of 7:39.05.